Do I Need Planning Permission?

If you are unsure as to whether you require planning permission, there are various options available to you either through a formal process or informal advice.Interactive House Guide

Formal confirmation

You are advised to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for formal confirmation that your building work or change of use does not require planning permission. As part of the application process, the Council will, for example, check whether your house/business has permitted development rights and whether the proposal falls within the restrictions of permitted development. We will then issue a certificate to state whether the proposal requires permission.

You are advised to do this before starting work. However certificates can also be obtained for existing developments or uses which have already been undertaken.

The Council has 8 weeks to determine a valid certificate application.

You can apply either electronically through the Planning Portal or by completing an application form available from our website.

For more information on what is required, please see the details of making a Lawful Development Certificate application.

Informal advice

For householders, visit the Do you need permission? page on the Planning Portal which advise you on planning permission and building regulations for common projects, such as a porch or conservatory, outbuilding or loft conversion.

 Alternatively you can also complete the form 'Do I need planning permission' for an informal opinion. The form is located under ‘related documents’ on the right hand side of this page.

Please send it, together with your payment, to:

Planning Services, West Somerset Council, West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Taunton, TA4 4QA.


Fax: 01984 635364


If you are faxing or emailing your form please either phone 01643 703704 to make a card payment or advise on your form that payment will be made under separate cover.