Variations & Minor Variations

If you already hold a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate issued by West Somerset Council, you will have authorisation to carry out one or more licensable activity.  Under the legislation you can make an application to vary your licence or Certificate to alter the terms.

This can include extending the hours you sell alcohol, a request to remove conditions from the existing licence, or a request to include licensable activities not included on the licence.

Variations are subject to the same advertising requirements as for a new licence and objections or 'representations' may be made against the variation.

Application forms are available under 'Related Document' on this page.

The fees for variation applications are the same as for new applications, based upon the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.

Application forms for a variation of a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate are available to download under 'related documents'.

Minor Variations
The legislation now allows Premises Licence and Club Premises Certificate holders to apply for 'Minor Variations' to their licences where the changes will not impact on the promotion of the Licensing Objectives. Minor variations relate to:

  • small changes to the structure or layout of the premises;
  • small adjustments to licensing hours;
  • removal of out of date or unenforceable conditions or volunteering of conditions;
  • adding certain licensable activities;
  • removing licensable activities.

It should be noted that the procedure may not be used to:

  • add the sale or supply of alcohol;
  • increase the amount of time on any one day that alcohol may be sold or supplied;
  • extend the hours for the sale or supply of alcohol on or off the premises between the hours of 23.00 and 07.00.

Those applications would require a full variation application.

The relevant fee in respect of Minor Variations is £89.00. The annual fee remains unaffected and falls due as per the original grant of licence.

The final decision as to the granting of the application for a Minor Variation lies with the Licensing Officer and there will be no committee hearing held if the variation is rejected. If rejected, the applicant can still apply for a full variation.

The DCMS have produced guidance on how to make a Minor Variation which can be found under related documents on this page.

Application forms are available under related documents on this page or you can apply on line.