Street Trading Consent

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article (including a living thing) in any street (and includes all forecourts, roads, footways and other areas adjacent to streets) or open space on which the public have access without payment. 

All streets in West Somerset are designated as consent streets.  This means that any person who wishes to trade in the street must first obtain a Street Trading Consent from the Council. 

People selling food must also register with the Food Safety Team, who will offer advice and guidance.  If the trader does not live within the area or store their vehicles there, they must register with their own Council. 

The Council has recently adopted their revised Street Trading Policy which can be found under Related Documents on this page.  The policy provides applicants with information on how to apply for a consent and the criteria we apply when determining applications.  It also provides information and criteria relating to temporary markets/consents (see below)


You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • trading as a Pedlar under a licence issued by a Police Authority
  • a market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • trading at or adjoining a shop premises as part of the business of the shop; or
  • offering or selling things as a roundsman.

If trading on private land, Street Trading Consent may not be required, however, you are advised to contact the Environmental Health & Licensing Team for clarification.

Planning Permission and Consent of Land Owner to Trade

Whether trading is taking place on private or public land, planning permission may be required.  Before any application can be considered, written notice from the relevant Planning Authority that planning permission has been granted or is not applicable is required and should be obtained before a Street Trading application is made.

Where an application to trade applies to land owned by this authority or the highway, permission from the relevant department will be required and should be obtained before a Street Trading application is made. 

Once you have decided when, where and how you wish to trade, contact the licensing unit and we will send the relevant application forms.  We will also be able to inform you whether or not the location you have chosen may or may not be suitable.  Alternatively, you may download the application forms at the end of this page.

Your application details will be circulated to:

  • Local Councillors
  • The Police
  • The Highways Authority for major roads
  • The relevant planning authority.
  • Local residents and businesses who may be affected by your application may also be consulted.

Consent may not be granted when adverse comments are received from the consulted parties.

Consent will not be granted where there is a risk to road safety or possibility of a nuisance being created. 

Applying for Street Trading

For an application form, please contact customer services or alternatively you may download one from related documents on this page.  There is also a fee to accompany the application, please see the councils schedule of fees.  

Public Register

The legislation does not require us to keep a public register.  However, if you would like to know if a trader is registered please contact the Licensing Unit using the contact details below.

Temporary Consents/Markets

We have many events in West Somerset where a number of stalls are proposed. .  If you are organising an event which includes the provision of 5 or more stalls/ice cream vans etc,  whether for charitable or other purposes, you should apply for a temporary/market consent.

Please send your completed application form and any supporting documentation (as requested in the application form) to West Somerset Council, West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, Taunton, Somerset TA4 4QA

Change in Circumstances/Renewals

Any change in circumstances, such as address details, names of assistants, etc , must be notified to the authority.

Renewal applications must be received before the expiry of the current consent.  Failure to do so would mean you need to cease trading until your application has been granted.

It should be noted that this authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide in the application form for the prevention and detection of fraud.  It may also share the information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes

Contact:  Licensing Unit on 01984 635282