If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, you are required under RIDDOR to report some work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995.

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities, to identify where and how risks arise, and to investigate serious accidents. We can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace.

For most businesses, a reportable accident, dangerous occurrence, or case of disease is a comparatively rare event. However, if it does happen, please let us know.

You must report all of the following:

  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • an over-three-day injury - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than 7 consecutive days
  • some work-related diseases
  • dangerous occurrences - where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done
  • CORGI registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors/suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents.  

RIDDOR applies to all work activities but not all incidents are reportable. If someone has had an accident in a work situation where you are in charge, and you are unsure whether to report it just call the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) on 0845 300 99 23

Reporting an incident

You can report incidents in a variety of ways, by telephone, fax, via the internet, or by post, making it more convenient for you. The telephone service is available Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm.

Post - Please send postal reports to the following address:
Incident Contact Centre
Caerphilly Business Park
Caerphilly, CF83 3GG

Internet - For internet reports please see the RIDDOR website (under External Link). 

Telephone (charged at local call rate): 0845 300 9923

If you would like an Environmental Health Officer to contact you to arrange an appointment, to discuss an enquiry or to report a complaint regarding Health and Safety, please complete the online enquiry form.