Universal Credit

The way to claim Housing Benefit is changing!

From 12th October 2016 if you need to make a brand new claim for Housing Benefit or any of the five main benefits below:

  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income-based)

You will need to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) either online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit or by telephone: 0345 6000723

To find out what you may be entitled to, you can visit: www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/

If you need help with your Universal Credit claim contact the Benefits Team at West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton to make an appointment. Alternatively call 01643 703704 or email benefits@westsomerset.gov.uk.

If you are already receiving one of the six benefits above and have a relevant change of circumstances that leads you to making a new claim for one of the main benefits you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit.

For example, if you currently receive Housing Benefit only and decide to make a new claim for Tax Credits, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit at the DWP which will include your Housing Benefit instead of claiming this from us.

For more help and advice contact the Revenues and Benefits Service:

Telephone: 01643 703704 (lines open Monday -Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm)
Email: benefits@westsomerset.gov.uk
In person: West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, TAUNTON, TA4 4QA
Monday -Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm