Problems paying your bill?

If you have any difficulty paying your Council Tax by the due dates, please contact us.

We are happy to discuss the situation and agree a realistic payment plan with you, and help you prevent arrears building up and increasing the debt. If legal action commences, you may end up having to pay a lot more.  Please complete a Financial Assessment form and return this to us.

We can also offer you advice on any discounts/exemptions and benefits you may not know about.

Council Tax payers are able to pay their monthly instalments over the whole financial year (12 months) instead of the usual 10.

To request twelve monthly instalments please complete the Council Tax Twelve Monthly Instalment Plan online form.

What happens if I do not make the requested payments?

If you do not pay as detailed on your bill then the council will have no alternative but to issue further documentation and take recovery action against you. We will issue one of the following recovery notices:

  • reminder
  • final notice
  • summons

If your account remains outstanding after the issue of a summons the council will apply for a liability order from the magistrates' court.

Find out about the recovery process and what this means to you.

Find out more about the Corporate Debt Policy (207kb pdf).

Sources of Debt Advice

Locally the West Somerset Advice Bureau can provide free, independent and confidential advice. Any resident of West Somerset can contact the volunteers at the West Somerset Advice Bureau for assistance and information on any query. Tel: 01643 704624,

StepChange Debt Charity -
Freephone: 0800 138 1111.

Debt Advice Foundation -

Money Advice Service -

Debt Support Trust -
Freephone: 0800 085 0226.

National Debtline -
Freephone: 0808 808 4000.

PayPlan -
Freephone: 0800 280 2816.

Turn2Us -