Supporting Evidence Required

Once you have completed your online claim you will need to provide the relevant evidence as listed below.  You can either

Make an appointment to visit us at West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton and show us your documents or post your documents to us   West Somerset House, Killick Way, Williton, TA4 4QA

**Please remember to quote your online reference number**

Proof of identity and National Insurance number

Please provide at least two original documents from the list below, copies are not acceptable.


Passport (current and valid)

Birth certificate

EU identity card

Recent bank or building society statement

Home Office letter

Cheque book

UK Residence Permit

Building society passbook

Adoption certificate

Council tax bill

Marriage certificate

Paid gas, electricity, telephone bill for last quarter

Divorce/annulment papers

Store charge card, credit card

Full driving licence (not provisional)

Trade Union membership card

Medical card

Life assurance or insurance policy document

Letter from your doctor, solicitor,
social worker, probation officer, hostel manager

Certificate of employment in HM forces, Merchant Navy

Letters from DWP, HM Revenue and customs

Prison discharge notification


National Insurance Numbers (NINO) – You can find these on:

  • JSA signing on card
  • letters from the DWP, HM Revenue and Customs
  • payslips or pension advice slips
  • P45/P60
  • National Insurance card

Proof of who is living at the address

You will need to provide documentary evidence confirming residency for all the people you have declared living with you on this form. Valid evidence includes:

  • for you this could be a letter from your landlord confirming the date you moved in
  • for you, your partner or other adults who live with you, it could be a letter or bill from a bank, utility company or similar confirming the name and address of the person concerned
  • a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or from HM Revenue and Customs
  • for dependant children it could be Child Benefit, a letter from a school or nursery or a medical card

Proof of private rent and tenancy

This may include your tenancy agreement, rent book or rent receipts. If you do not have any of these you will need to provide a letter from your landlord, or download our Rent Proof Form and ask you landlord or their agent to complete it.

Paying benefit into your bank account

If you want your benefit paid into your bank account, please provide an original statement for this account, showing your name as the account holder, current address, sort code and account number.

If you have an internet bank account and want your housing benefit paid into this account, please print a statement yourself for this account.

Please also provide two forms of proof that you are living at your address such as recently paid utility bills, council tax bill, medical card or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs.

Proof of income


The following are all acceptable as evidence of employment and income:

  • Wage slips. These must be your latest pay slips and must be consecutive. We will need your last five if you are paid weekly, 3 if paid fortnightly or 2 if paid monthly.
  • Download our Proof of Earnings Certificate. Your employer must sign this, stating the information contained in the statement is true and complete. It must show consecutive pay details for the last five weeks if you are paid weekly, 3 if paid fortnightly or 2 if paid monthly.
  • Letter from employer. This must be on headed paper and must show the same details as the certificate of earnings.

Self Employed Earnings

Annual accounts. These must include a profit and loss account. If you do not have any accounts you can download and complete our Statement of Self-Employed Income.

Other unearned income

such as pension advice slips from a former employer, a maintenance order or income received from an annuity. We will also need to see proof of any money you receive from boarders, lodgers or sub tenants.

Benefits, allowances, tax credits or pensions

such as a current award notice or letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs confirming how much you get.

Proof of money paid out

such as a student loan or grant assessment, or payments to a registered childminder.

Proof of savings, capital and investments

We need to see evidence for all savings, capital and investments that you or your partner have:

  • your latest full bank statement
  • building society or post office books
  • National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts
  • if you have an online bank account, a printed statement will be acceptable

The evidence that you send must show details for at least the last two months.

Although we need to know the value of any Premium Bonds, cash or capital bonds that you may have you do not need to send proof of these.

What else?

You need to complete all the sections that apply to you and your partner and other members of your household.

Make sure you have read the check list and have all the documents asked for. The quicker you can supply all the documents the quicker we can pay your claim.

Further Information

If you have any questions regarding benefits please contact the Benefits Section.

Telephone: 01643 703704