Benefit Backdating

If there has been a reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit or  Council Tax Rebate you can ask for your claim to be 'backdated' so that it starts from an earlier date.

For information email:

The Start Date of Your Benefit Claim
Normally we will start your claim from the Monday after we receive your application. It is therefore very important that you get your application form or letter to us as soon as possible because it affects the date your benefit claim will start from. If we send you an application form we will allow you 4 weeks to complete and return it. If you take longer than 4 weeks to return the form you might lose your entitlement to some of your benefits.

The Rules on Backdating Benefit
You can only ask for a backdate of benefits if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit earlier. If you disagree with the date your claim starts from for any other reason you can appeal against the decision.

In order for a backdate of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Rebate to be allowed you will have to show 'good cause' why you did not apply earlier. There is no formal definition of 'good cause', each case will be decided according to its own individual situation. The maximum period that a benefit claim can be backdated is 6 months for anyone under the age of 60 years and 3 months for anyone over the age of 60.